The Lighter Side of JzB

Here you will find photos, poetry, and possibly some light-hearted foolishness. For the Heavier Side
of JzB
see my other blog,
Retirement Blues. (There be dragons!)

I claim copyright and reserve all rights for my original material of every type and genre.


Every day visits*
From Moose, Goose, and Orb Weaver
All seized by Haiku


"Why moose and goose?" you may ask. Back on 2/04/13 Pirate wrote a haiku with an elk in it, and I responded with
one with a moose and then included him every day. A few days later in comments Mystic asked "Where's the goose?"
So I started including her with this post on 2/07. A week later on the 14th, Mark Readfern
asked for and received a spider. The rest is history.

*Well, most days, anyway. Grant me a bit of poetic license.

Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Carpe Diem Writing Techniques #7



So the essence is simple ego-free humility coupled with the authenticity that comes of noble aging.

At some visceral level, I think I get it.  Perhaps being deep into my 7th decade helps.

Kristjaan maintains that this is also the essence of haiku.

Examples

the morning's snow
i can chew dried salmon
alone

© Basho

in the backyard
of my ancestor's mansion
roses still bloom


© Chèvrefeuille


~~::~~

What I do not see in either of these - nor in many other fine haiku - is a moment as short as the sound of a pebble thrown in water.  Surely one cannot chew dried salmon in that quick manner.  So - what you may have is an extended moment, but one that is imbued with some special characteristics that might even suggest a deeper meaning.

In the second example we have the antithesis of a brief moment - something that is in fact timeless.  I think that is wonderful.

And that it, too, hints at wabi-sabi.

in these old pictures
you and i were so young
and now this moment

~~:~~

It also reminds me of this sculpture by Rodin.  It was mentioned in passing in a Robert Heinline novel I read decades ago, and was delighted to find the relevant passage - and a picture of the subject sculpture here.   For some reason this passage stayed with me over the long years.  I'm not sure Jubel Harshaw's exposition on the sculpture quite gets at wabi-sabi, but it at least hits the right corner of the universe.

~~:~~

Getting rid of ego is something I struggle with.   Playing the trombone is humbling - but still.  For the past year or so I've been doing something I haven't done since high school - practicing semi-diligently, specifically with the goal of developing a more extensive, secure and reliable high register.   I may be giving in to ego, but I want to share with you a moment from last month where I performed one of the iconic trombone songs from the swing era. An old man, old horn, and old song coming together - a bit of sabi, perhaps.   It's not perfect, but a year ago, I wouldn't have thought this possible.






my old king trombone
it’s finish spotted with age
still hits the high notes

 ~:~

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your post JzB ... what an extraordinary response on Wabi Sabi and I like that line "and now this moment" really this gives me the feeling of Wabi Sabi

    ReplyDelete

This is a fun blog. Light-hearted banter is welcome. Snark is not. If you want to fight, find my other blog.

Play nice, and we'll all have fun.

I like to return visit, when I can - but I need to find you. If you have multiple blogs, please leave a direct link to the appropriate post.

Cheers!
JzB