17 A. Ellington-Strayhorn hit to which Johnny Mercer later added lyrics: SATIN DOLL. Love the tune, not crazy about Mercer's lyrics. Here is the best arrangement ever, by Sammy Nestico for the Count Basie band.
59. Social networking service ... or an apt portmanteau for the starts of 17-, 27- and 45-Across: INSTAGRAM. OK. The letters of INSTA have been presented in various configurations, and the -GRAM suffix indicates something in writing. And mashing them together does generate a portmanteau, sort of. But the surface sense is at best, pretty thin; and the whole concept is a bit of a stretch. But, high marks for creativity and originality.
Hi, gang, JazzBumpa here see what else awaits us in today's adventure.
1. Give a little: BEND. Not being rigid.
5. Under-the-sink cleaners: LYES. Caustic drain unclogging substances. NaOH, for the technically minded.
9. Spherical: ORBED. Round, any way you look at it.
14. On the protected side: ALEE. Away from the wind.
15. Ward of "FBI": SELA.
16. Author Zora __ Hurston: NEALE. [1891 -1960] An anthropologist, film maker and author of influential African-American literature.
19. Mistreat: ABUSE.
20. "The Addams Family" cousin: ITT.
21. Device for scratch removal?: ATM. Automatic Teller Machine, for extracting cash - i.e. "scratch."
22. Something found under a chest: ABDOMEN. Body parts.
24. Viagra competitor: LEVITRA. Now, let me get this straight . . .
26. Letter starter: DEAR. The salutation.
32. Useful: OF HELP. Providing some benefit.
35. Drop off: WANE. Ebb, decline, fade away.
36. Motes may be seen in one: RAY. Dust in a sun beam.
37. Two-time Indy winner Luyendyk: ARIE. Race car driver.
38. Two-__-one: FOR. Typical half-off sale gimmick.
39. Air Jordan company: NIKE. Maker of athletic shoes.
40. Thing on a ring: KEY.
41. Bodily fluids: SERA.
43. Filled with wonder: AMAZED. Cf 49 A.
48. Senate helper: PAGE.
49. "I must be seeing things": PINCH ME. This can't be real.
53. Reliable income source: CASH COW.
56. Coll. aides: TAs. Teaching Assistants
57. Feel poorly: AIL.
58. Tablet download: E-BOOK. Electronic publication.
62. Nary a soul: NO ONE. Nope - nobody here.
63. Snap, in ads: FOTO. Photograph, mis-abbreviated.
64. Radiation units: REMS. Roentgen Equivalent Man is an older unit measuring the health effects of low levels of ionizing radiation on the human body.
65. In good shape: TONED. Buff.
66. Movie lab helper: IGOR. In various Frankenstein movies.
1. Pesto herb: BASIL. Along with olive oil, parmesan, pine nuts and garlic.
2. Really excite: ELATE. I see elation as happiness, rather than excitement, so I think this equivalence is pretty dicey.
3. Hulu service: NET TV. Streaming app.
4. Opus __: "The Da Vinci Code" sect: DEI. In real life, this group is a secretive, ultra conservative institution within the Catholic Church.
5. '60s "journey": LSD TRIP. The experience of being under the influence of a psychotropic drug.
6. Coast Guard rank: YEOMAN. I can't find it listed in this ranking chart.
7. Angled piece: ELL. Named for its cross-sectional profile.
8. Self-service food station: SALAD BAR.
9. How some silly things are done: ON A DARE. Earlier: Bet you can't/won't. Later: No, you shouldn't have.
10. Spiritually awakened: REBORN. Generally referring to a personal religious experience.
11. Gale family creator: BAUM. In the Wizard of Oz.
12. Otherwise: ELSE. In addition, or instead of.
13. Cook Paula: DEEN. Southern Fried Everything.
18. Birth-related: NATAL.
23. "I've __ busy": BEEN.
25. "It's clear now": I SEE. The scales have fallen from my eyes.
28. Clock change hr. (though most do it sooner): TWO AM. I did not know this.
29. Nev. neighbor: ARIZ. Two western Sts.
30. Golf bunker tool: RAKE. A bunker is a sand trap. Golf etiquette is to smooth all footprints, ball trails and club marks.
31. Like green hair: DYED. Artificially tinted.
32. Symbols of strength: OAKS. Mighty trees/
33. Fingerboard bar: FRET. "Guitars and Banjos have ‘fretboards’ as they utilise a board (usually rosewood or maple) that has metal frets slotted into it and the note is sounded via your finger as it presses the string towards the board until the string meets the fret.)"
38. Coffee shop amenity: FREE WIFI.
39. DEA operative: NARC. Short for narcotics agt.
41. Ate at the theater, say: SNACKED. On popcorn and candy.
42. Proof word: ERGO. Therefore -
43. One who takes off a lot: AVIATOR. Up in the sky, it's plane to see.
44. High-scoring club?: MENSA. Organization of high IQ individuals.
46. Selfie stick attachment: I-PHONE. Used for taking pictures - of your face.
47. Decides one will: OPTS TO.
50. Sultan's group: HAREM. Wife collection of a Sultan.
51. Marlins' home: MIAMI. The last place team in the NL East Division, and the 3rd worst team in all of MLB
52. Title loc. in six horror films: ELM ST. Place for nightmares.
53. Coin often left in a dish: CENT. The U.S. penny is worth one CENT. I'm not sure what this clue is getting at.
54. Peek-__: ABOO. Kids' hiding and peeking game.
55. "Are we there yet?" reply: SOON.
60. Yule quaff: NOG. A spiced dairy-based beverage with variable alcohol content.
61. Miracle-__: GRO. Garden fertilizer product.
That wraps up another Wednesday. Hope you had a good time.