The Lighter Side of JzB

Here you will find photos, poetry, and possibly some light-hearted foolishness. For the Heavier Side
of JzB
see my other blog,
Retirement Blues. (There be dragons!)

I claim copyright and reserve all rights for my original material of every type and genre.


Every day visits*
From Moose, Goose, and Orb Weaver
All seized by Haiku


"Why moose and goose?" you may ask. Back on 2/04/13 Pirate wrote a haiku with an elk in it, and I responded with
one with a moose and then included him every day. A few days later in comments Mystic asked "Where's the goose?"
So I started including her with this post on 2/07. A week later on the 14th, Mark Readfern
asked for and received a spider. The rest is history.

*Well, most days, anyway. Grant me a bit of poetic license.

Saturday, July 18, 2015

Carpe Diem Utabukuro #5 Origami frog


"The goal of CD's Utabukuro is not difficult, because I just ask you to share a haiku or tanka which you admire. That haiku or tanka can be one of a classical or non-classical haiku poet or one by yourself. You can choose what ever you like, but it has to be a haiku or tanka. Maybe the haiku brings you sweet (or sad) memories or you just like it. Explain why you have chosen that haiku or tanka to share here "in" CDHK's Utabukuro, poem bag, and ... that is the second task for this feature, write/compose an all new haiku inspired on the one you have chosen."


I chose one that I wrote earlier this spring.


in the green meadow
amid the buds and insects
lurking orb weaver


This one has phrase and fragment structure, first-third line interchangeability and a deeper, though rather dark, meaning.  Not sure of there is an official kigo here, but the image to me is very Spring-like.  I can't stand spiders in the real world, but have great affection for them in my haiku.

inspired haiku

in the green meadow
a fat toad sits pondering
the taste of spider

My affection for amphibians is boundless.   On its own, this one seems quite classical to me.  In the context of its inspiration, though, there is more than a hint of irony.  Maybe that makes it a senryu.   I can live with that.

What has any of this to do with an origami frog?  To answer that, see the link in the first line above.

green origami
only a paper frog
cob needn't worry


UPDATE:    Just found this wonderful example by Mystic

in a sea of weeds
a lone sunflower fishes
for its lost shadow


My response

for one dark moment
where have all the shadows gone
a cloud passes by


5 comments:

  1. Awesome post JzB ... I am so happy to see you here again ... you were missed at CDHK. Nice choice of haiku for this Utabukuro episode and your inspired haiku is very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh .. a very interesting post ... I enjoyed following your thoughts here :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good to see you again, JzB! Enjoyed your haiku :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed the spider tasting toad and the shadow eating cloud... beautifully done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Enjoyed all of the haiku and your excellent takes.

    ReplyDelete

This is a fun blog. Light-hearted banter is welcome. Snark is not. If you want to fight, find my other blog.

Play nice, and we'll all have fun.

I like to return visit, when I can - but I need to find you. If you have multiple blogs, please leave a direct link to the appropriate post.

Cheers!
JzB