The Lighter Side of JzB

Here you will find photos, poetry, and possibly some light-hearted foolishness. For the Heavier Side
of JzB
see my other blog,
Retirement Blues. (There be dragons!)

I claim copyright and reserve all rights for my original material of every type and genre.


Every day visits*
From Moose, Goose, and Orb Weaver
All seized by Haiku


"Why moose and goose?" you may ask. Back on 2/04/13 Pirate wrote a haiku with an elk in it, and I responded with
one with a moose and then included him every day. A few days later in comments Mystic asked "Where's the goose?"
So I started including her with this post on 2/07. A week later on the 14th, Mark Readfern
asked for and received a spider. The rest is history.

*Well, most days, anyway. Grant me a bit of poetic license.

Friday, October 19, 2012

Friday Memes

'Cuz a day without a meme is like a day without another arbitrarily selected unnecessary obligation.

So here we go.

Book BeginningsPlease join me every Friday to share the first sentence (or so) of the book you are reading, along with your initial thoughts about the sentence, impressions of the book, or anything else the opener inspires. Please remember to include the title of the book and the author's name.

"We should start back," Gared urged as the woods began to grew dark around them.  "The wildings are dead."
"Do the dead frighten you?" Ser Waymar Royce asked with just the hint of a smile.

Thus begins the prologue to A GAME OF THRONES, the opening volume of George R.R. Martin's epic A Song of Ice and Fire.  I'm far long now in my second reading of this book, having made the long journey through the extant five volumes in a couple of years.  Martin shows us a great deal in the prologue, and even these two first sentences give us quite a bit.  These men are uncomfortably located in the woodlands where the wildings - whoever or whatever they may be - are.  The title "Ser" tells us Waymar is of high station, and his attitude tells us he is arrogant.  His question will resonate throughout the five volumes, and beyond.

Friday 56:   Grab a book, any book.  Turn to page 56 or 56% in your ereader  Find any sentence, (or few, just don't spoil it) that grabs you.

I'm not sure what "don't spoil it" is getting at.  The entries I've looked at identify the book being quoted.  I'll stick with AGoT.

"Too hot, too noisy, and I'd drunk too much wine," the dwarf told him.  "I learned long ago that it is considered rude to vomit on your brother.  Might I have a closer look at your wolf?"

 Brilliant!


1 comment:

  1. Awesome choice! I haven't read the books, but have watched some of season 1 on tv. Good stuff!

    ReplyDelete

This is a fun blog. Light-hearted banter is welcome. Snark is not. If you want to fight, find my other blog.

Play nice, and we'll all have fun.

I like to return visit, when I can - but I need to find you. If you have multiple blogs, please leave a direct link to the appropriate post.

Cheers!
JzB