The Lighter Side of JzB

Here you will find photos, poetry, and possibly some light-hearted foolishness. For the Heavier Side
of JzB
see my other blog,
Retirement Blues. (There be dragons!)

I claim copyright and reserve all rights for my original material of every type and genre.


Every day visits*
From Moose, Goose, and Orb Weaver
All seized by Haiku


"Why moose and goose?" you may ask. Back on 2/04/13 Pirate wrote a haiku with an elk in it, and I responded with
one with a moose and then included him every day. A few days later in comments Mystic asked "Where's the goose?"
So I started including her with this post on 2/07. A week later on the 14th, Mark Readfern
asked for and received a spider. The rest is history.

*Well, most days, anyway. Grant me a bit of poetic license.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Carpe Diem #214, Hatsugatsuo (first Bonito) - Plus Sensational Haiku Wednesday

Kristjaan explains:
During the Edo period, Kamakura was famous for the first bonito to be fished at the beaches of the inlay. The very first ones were offered at Hachimangu with prayers for a good fishing season.

In newer years, the first fish of the year landing on the beach of Kamakura was called hatsugatsuo and offered to the deities.


Update:
The SHW prompt for today is Marine Life.
I'll double up on memes this time with entries 1 and 3.
 


~ 1 ~

early bird gets worm
worm on hook gets bonito
first things first

~ 2 ~

first things highly prized
that's why virgins get tossed
into volcanoes


~ 3 ~

moose and goose
sit by the river side
watch the salmon run


~ 4 ~

first summer spider
in our house - my wife calls me
to come and kill it
*

~ 5 ~

sacrificed spider
she doesn't pay the mortgage
moment of non-zen

~~:~~:~~

* in fairness i should point out that i could reach it and she couldn't
this is what chivalry comes down to
in a time without dragons

Carpe Diem #214

 

Join the fun!

8 comments:

  1. Was lol'ing at 2nd haiku...read it to husband. Adore moose and goose. Salmon watching in the Yemen? If it's a big spider, husband catches and tries to release. If little, I can tolerate as long as not too close. That's what husbands are for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No catch and release here.

    I squash them suckers flat.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
  3. It warms my heart that chivalry is alive and well in your house! Hopefully you clear out any snakes that happen by too! enjoyed my visit as usual!Fluking with my Father

    ReplyDelete
  4. You mean you don't have fire breathing spiders up there?
    Don;t worry, I still think you're a brave man ;)

    Hatsugatsuo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chivalry in haiku!A ser to smile for!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Smiles all over my face. Thanks JzB.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What? No dragons where you live? For shame!

    Bonito

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mark -

    Not the "there be dragons" warning on the banner link to my other blog.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete

This is a fun blog. Light-hearted banter is welcome. Snark is not. If you want to fight, find my other blog.

Play nice, and we'll all have fun.

I like to return visit, when I can - but I need to find you. If you have multiple blogs, please leave a direct link to the appropriate post.

Cheers!
JzB