The Lighter Side of JzB

Here you will find photos, poetry, and possibly some light-hearted foolishness. For the Heavier Side
of JzB
see my other blog,
Retirement Blues. (There be dragons!)

I claim copyright and reserve all rights for my original material of every type and genre.


Every day visits*
From Moose, Goose, and Orb Weaver
All seized by Haiku


"Why moose and goose?" you may ask. Back on 2/04/13 Pirate wrote a haiku with an elk in it, and I responded with
one with a moose and then included him every day. A few days later in comments Mystic asked "Where's the goose?"
So I started including her with this post on 2/07. A week later on the 14th, Mark Readfern
asked for and received a spider. The rest is history.

*Well, most days, anyway. Grant me a bit of poetic license.

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Visual Dare 33 -- Timing

Angela must spend the rest of the week searching for these enigmatic pictures.



TIMING

Two-four, four-four, three-four, six-eight, nine-eight, twelve-eight, even fifteen-eight [that rascal Debussy.*]

All the time I spent practicing all those times.

Now it's my time!

And here's the train to Carnegie Hall, right on time.

"All, aboard then, step in time."

Wait  -- what!?!  Where is my cello?

Oh, sh  .  .  .

~  ~  ~  ~  ~

*The first two of a smattering of distinctive 15/8 measures sprinkled throughout this Nocturne occur from 47 to 51 seconds in this video.  They are basically equivalent to eighth note triplets in 5/4 time.  It was my great pleasure to perform this piece last Friday.  We didn't get a lot of notes in the trombone section, and the 15/8 measures were a big help in locating my entrances.

Point of clarification - this is not our performace.  We don't YouTube.

Saturday June 9, 2012
Festival Concert Hall, Round Top, TX
Texas Festival Orchestra
Pascal Verrot, conductor


12/13 Update:  If you've come along this far, do yourself a favor and follow along here for something completely celloistically different.


5 comments:

  1. Excellent use of music theory to draw in the timing of the tragedy - man, this is GOOD. And bonus points for getting to watch/listen to you play with your cohorts - and such an amazing piece!

    Love especially how the introduction of various rhythms at the beginning draw in an almost waltz-like cadence (is that the right word?) for the whole piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed this. Time/timing - used in such a great cocktail of different meanings and context.

    It would be great fun to have used syncopation and what one can do with "off beat" in this Visual Dare! Amanda

    (Sorry: reason thegirlfromthevillage comment disappeared was cos I unwittingly posted using something I set ages ago, just to see how blogging worked: things intervened and I gave up and I now can't remember password!!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very good take on the prompt. And poor cellist... :-)

    ReplyDelete

This is a fun blog. Light-hearted banter is welcome. Snark is not. If you want to fight, find my other blog.

Play nice, and we'll all have fun.

I like to return visit, when I can - but I need to find you. If you have multiple blogs, please leave a direct link to the appropriate post.

Cheers!
JzB