The Lighter Side of JzB

Here you will find photos, poetry, and possibly some light-hearted foolishness. For the Heavier Side
of JzB
see my other blog,
Retirement Blues. (There be dragons!)

I claim copyright and reserve all rights for my original material of every type and genre.


Every day visits*
From Moose, Goose, and Orb Weaver
All seized by Haiku


"Why moose and goose?" you may ask. Back on 2/04/13 Pirate wrote a haiku with an elk in it, and I responded with
one with a moose and then included him every day. A few days later in comments Mystic asked "Where's the goose?"
So I started including her with this post on 2/07. A week later on the 14th, Mark Readfern
asked for and received a spider. The rest is history.

*Well, most days, anyway. Grant me a bit of poetic license.

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Carpe Diem #261, Dervish Dream

Today, I'm thinking not so much about the music of Karunesh, but more about a whirling dancer, and what her dreams might be.

The dervish specifically seeks a heightened spiritual awakening.  But even a secular dancer [or musician, poet, artist or artisan] can strive for an experience outside the ordinary that might, from the application of serious discipline, have a spiritual component.

Our oldest granddaughter, who will be sixteen next month, is a serious dancer.  In addition to her regular dance studies, she has participated in several summer intensives with the Cicchetti Council of America, The American Ballet Theater, and she is currently in New York spending a week with The Rockettes.

Here is a video where you can see some of her twirling, specifically at 0:55 and 1:50. 

Who knows where she will go, if she follows her dream.





~ 1 ~

serious dance
body and spirit moving
in cosmic rhythm


~ 2 ~

the earth always whirls
moose grows antlers at each turn
goose flies home again


~ 3 ~

silken dervish
orb weaver does the 8 step
whirling a web

~(-)~

Carpe Diem #261

6 comments:

  1. I love your first poem, made even more wonderful by the video of your beautiful granddaughter! Oh how I would love to be in cosmic rhythm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Wabi.

    Full disclosure - Amanda is my lovely wife's granddaughter.
    But we play nice together and share.

    Cheers!
    JzB

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cosmic rhythm is a beautiful phrase. Your granddaughter...beauty and grace. May all her dreams come true. You must be so proud of her. Such a discipline...ballet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Maggie.
      She's a really sweet kid, and well grounded, too.
      If there's any ego there, I haven't seen it.

      Cheers!
      JzB

      Delete
  4. A Grandfathers love is no Dervish, but neither is it a dream ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a nice series JzB ... I like the spider haiku the most.

    ReplyDelete

This is a fun blog. Light-hearted banter is welcome. Snark is not. If you want to fight, find my other blog.

Play nice, and we'll all have fun.

I like to return visit, when I can - but I need to find you. If you have multiple blogs, please leave a direct link to the appropriate post.

Cheers!
JzB